As we want to keep you up to date on the sustainable technological development of the leading and start-up players in the Truck and Bus industry, we do believe it is good to put things into perspective.
We therefore recommend you to read the enclosed document of the EU commission on the EU transition roadmap towards a hydrogen ecosystem for EU by 2050, as released in July 2020.
- Hydrogen is a key priority to achieve the European Green Deal and Europe’s clean energy transition
- Renewable electricity is expected to decarbonize a large share of the EU energy consumption by 2050, but not all of it
- Hydrogen has a strong potential to bridge some of this gap, the share of hydrogen in Europe’s energy mix is projected to grow from the current less than 2% to around 15% by 2050
- Investment in hydrogen will foster sustainable growth and jobs, which will be critical in the context of recovery from the COVID-19 crisis
- Analysts estimate that clean hydrogen could meet 24% of energy world demand by 2050, with annual sales in the range of €630 billion
- In order to implement the strategy, the EU to install at least 6 GW of renewable hydrogen electrolysers in the EU by 2024 and 40 GW of renewable hydrogen electrolysers by 2030.
- As investment cycles in the clean energy sector run for about 25 years, the time to act is now
- In other words, the hydrogen grid is equally important to shape to enable the growth of hydrogen as a realistic alternative in Europe
- For full article, click here: https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/ener/files/hydrogen_strategy.pdf (90min read)